Re: Branching off 2.2

From: J.M. Maurer <j.m.maurer_at_student.utwente.nl>
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 01:33:45 CET

Op wo, 29-12-2004 te 10:42 +1100, schreef
msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au:

> We should get a consesus amongst the candidates to maintain 2.2 branch
> (hub,mg,uwog others...) to actually maintain the 2.2 branch. ie Be
> prepared to backport fixes to 2.2, do periodic releases and keep it
> generally happy.
>
> Also we should work out a consesus for applying bug fixes.
>
> Some options we have would be:
>
> 1. Fix bugs in HEAD and ask 2.2 maintainers to backport.
> 2. Fix bugs in STABLE and ask a new volenteer to forward port.
> 3. Fix bugs in BOTH with a single commit.
>
> >From my perspective I would prefer 1.
>
> I know hub has expressed a desire for us to use 2. Mark has argued against
> this.

I never had any problems with 1. But I wouldn't be against 2 either. I
think 1 is simpler for developers, as they then only need to have 1
branch (HEAD).

Whichever it turns out to be, I'd vulonteer to do backports, 'as
always'.

I'd volunteer to maintain 2.2.x as well. Feel free to pick other
candidates though.

Bye!
  Marc