Re: Branching off 2.2

From: J.M. Maurer <j.m.maurer_at_student.utwente.nl>
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 20:54:55 CET

Op wo, 29-12-2004 te 12:53 -0500, schreef Hubert Figuiere:
> On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 18:03 +0100, J.M. Maurer wrote:
> > > So you declare willing to be repsonsible off backporting everything ?
> > > I'm sorry, but I have done enough backporting do declare it to be a PITA
> > > process, not including time consuming.
> >
> > ... Actually, I find it quite relaxing.. you don't have to think out new
> > stuff, just be a drone and make things fit. I usually do it when I'm
> > bored :-)
>
> But still 2 problem:
>
> -keep track of all the commits

If people just say "backport" or "forward" port in their commit mails,
i'll track it automatically..

> -determine if it should be backported and if it can. The bug fix would
> be done in the right branch, then we could automatically merge, and the
> porting possibilities more likely to happen.

Fixing a bug in STABLE does not always mean that it can be forwardported
without issues. Same holds for HEAD to STABLE. So neither can be done
'automatically' as far as I can see. Furthermore, we've had fixes in
2.0.x that i didn't want to end up in 2.1.x, as the fix was done there
in a different way, or was not needed.

Marc