Re: Commit (JMM-DOUBLEGRAPHICS-1): merge from head 1/2

From: Hubert Figuiere <hfiguiere_at_teaser.fr>
Date: Thu Dec 30 2004 - 02:46:49 CET

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 13:37 -0500, Mark Gilbert wrote:

> > What is the tag for the branchpoint?
>
> I answered this, and in great detail. I still have the message if you
> need me to resend it. To summarize for the curious and chuckling
> onlookers, there is none, because you've yet to show a need for it. If
> for some strange reason you need to get the difference on HEAD (which
> would be huge) between when it was branched and now, there are several
> different ways to do this, including undoing the interbranch diff on the
> branch, and very simply you can just use the date (it hasn't changed, I
> assure you, short of some excercise in time travel proposed by martin
> (-: )

So you are telling me to step on the fire but feet englued with oil ?
Relying on the date for a branch is not the right way. How do you know
the date of branching ?

cvs co -rbranchpoint my_module is so simple to recover the tree "at the
branchpoint"
and a "cvs rtag -b -rbranchpoint BRANCH my_module" is more complicated
to tag ?
You still haven't offered ANY serious alternative to what I'm offering
which is what we use in the company I work for and which is basically
the way all CVS guides explain.

https://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs-1.12.11/cvs_5.html#SEC56
They don't say exactly what I said, because they are more general, but
they provide interesting bits on why we should do this way. For the
other reference, excuse me but the dead tree book are in beetween the
boat unloading and my home.

> If you can demonstrate a need for one, I can create one. One can be
> created at any point between now and eternity, because the date of the
> branch has not changed and never will (to preclude any philosophical
> discussion on the space-time continuum).

How do I find out this date Mr Genius ? Beside poking random files out
of the tree.

> > What is the "lastmerge" tag ?
> > What is jmm_doublegraphics_1_priorsync ?
>
> You did not ask me these questions, you asked uwog, on irc, last month,
> and he explained it, and after that you just said that you mailed me,
> but these questions were not in the three that you asked, and because
> uwog had explained it, I saw no need to answer a question that hadn't
> been asked. Although technically the former question you answered
> yourself, in the very same conversation.
> To summarize what uwog and you said, the priorsync tag is that tag on
> HEAD which indicates the point JMM-DOUBLEGRAPHICS-1 was last syncronized
> against, which is moved every time the branch is syncronized.

So it is the 'lastmerge' tag, whatever you call it. fine.

> > How is done the merge, because Marc talked about some automatic stuff,
> > without being sure.
>
> Again, explained in full before. I may not be a wizbang coder like you
> but even _I_ have better things to do for abi than repeat things time
> and again if they aren't going to be read.

Wow. Since you reply are so confused, I'm really tempted to say that
this is your problem. You never said *ANYTHING* about this branch.

> cvs update [from branch], cvs update [merge changes on head since
> priorsync], and if there are no conflicts, cvs commit, tag head [move
> priorsync from the old position to the new position].
> If there's a conflict, it aborts, uwog or I (or the two of us together)
> fixes the conflict and syncs the branch manually, after which normal
> operations resume.

You are telling me, if I read correctly in beetween lines, that there is
some cron script doing that ? So are are telling me that we might shoot
ourself in the foot ? BTW, I asked clearly THAT question, never got a
reply. Where is that script run from ?

> > I asked WTF it was. You never dared to reply.
>
> 1) You never asked me

I did.

> 2) You seemed to know, based on your conversation with uwog

No. I wanted to know what you did.

> 3) Uwog confirmed it.

How ?

> I am surprised at all this upset over "priorsync" instead of
> "lastmerge".

Which explain the whole confuseness of the stuff that would have been
clarify if
1/ you had dared to reply to the simple question
2/ you had posted a mail to the mailing list explaining that.

> I personally am accustomed to using this tag because I
> think it is less ambiguous in indication (the prior syncronization) than
> lastmerge (the last merge? merge from-to where? before or after? does
> last mean prior, or final? &c)

It is not, but I don't fscking care. There can be only one source of
merge for a branch, + eventually the final merge back to where it comes
from in case of an "inverted branch" or "private branch" whatever your
genius brain decided to call it assuming that everyone will understand.

> However, if I had known it'd be such a
> problem and the word someone else was accustomed to using for the same
> thing, I would've just used that.

If you only had asked...

> > Re-read. This the _merging tag, not the _lastmerge tag.
> >

> Quite right, sorry about that. The superfluous tag made it seem more
> like a typo, I failed to look closely enough.
>
> [...]
> > is, and some arbitrary state of the tree.
>
> If by arbitrary, you mean current.

No. By arbitrary I mean "undefined". only a symbolic tag or a date can
provide non arbitrary state of the tree. Remember this is CVS. CVS works
file by file.

Hub

--
Crazy French - http://www.figuiere.net/hub/