New GNOME-Office Web Site

From: Ryan Pavlik (abiryan_at_ryand.net)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 17:47:38 EST

    Hello, AbiWord friends, and those of you who I am not acquainted with on
    the GNOME Office list!

    I have been trying to help out by rebuilding a GNOME Office
    branding/marketing home page. I have a fair amount of materials and
    ideas already put together, and mostly just require the go-ahead from
    the requisite people and some information.

    I have now subscribed to the GNOME Office list, so I will be able to
    keep up better with this situation.

    I have uploaded a mockup of a sort of a "splash image"
    /theme/marketing/design motif on my Abi web page:
    http://www.ryand.net/oss/abi . I am excited about this design and the
    possibilities it brings to the projects.

    I would like to explain the design a bit. As I understood that there
    are problems with using the GNOME foot icon, I wanted the logo to match
    the theme and style of the GNOME logo, without actually using the foot.
    I also learned that the goal of GNOME Office is to build a suite on
    common components, namely GNOME and the GO libraries. This inspired a
    concentring circle design. I have placed on the inner most (outside of
    the suite name), darkest ring, the two "core" apps as they were
    suggested to me. Around this ring, on a lighter, more distant ring, I
    placed icons of a few of the programs listed to be or potentially become
    part of GNOME Office. I have also designed special "GNOME Office"
    splash screen images for the programs when distributed as a part of the
    GO package, and am working on creating several "levels" of unified
    package, containing the programs from various levels in the hierarchy
    (the core apps, tentatively known as "essence", a slightly larger, more
    inclusive package, and a fully inclusive one). The GNOME Office
    acronym, GO, also provides numerous "catchphrase" marketing
    opportunities, and one of these can be found at the bottom of my mockup.
    ("GO beyond.")

    As you may have observed, I am committed to revitalizing the Internet
    presence and customer vitality of GNOME Office. I believe that with
    appropriate, creative, effective design and marketing, the GNOME Office
    project can grow from a "meta-project" into a vibrant customer and
    developer community, and the GO brand can become a "household name" in
    the minds of the project's target customers, as OpenOffice.org, MS
    Office, and to an extent, KOffice have done. There is much potential in
    the collective resources of the GO community.

    I have even more extensive ideas than those I am able to detail in this
    message. They will be posted to the above web site once they have
    reached an appropriately completed level.

    I would be honored to volunteer to recreate the web page of GNOME
    Office. I have received offers for help from the AbiWord list, and have
    already received a partial SVG version of the Gnumeric logo, in addition
    to the AbiWord logo that I made. If project leaders or developers have
    any ideas as to how I could improve my plans, re-organize the project
    hierarchy, or even just an SVG logo from the projects, it would be
    greatly appreciated.

    Thank you!

    Ryan Pavlik