FYI: AbiWord abstract for GUADEC-5

From: msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 20:22:24 EST

    Hi Folks,
             Here is the abstract I wrote for AbiWord_at_GUADEC-5. I couldn't
    resist putting in some hype. It talks about the feature set
    expected by June 2004.

    The AbiWord project provides the Word Processor component of the Gnome
    Office Suite. The project continues to make excellent progress and we are
    now the best Free Software Word Processor available. Over the next year or
    two we plan to increase this lead and become the best Word Processor
    available on the planet.

    Highlights of the last year of development include the releases of
    AbiWord-2.0 and AbiWord-2.2. Our latest release, AbiWord-2.2, provides
    substantial speedups in the loading and editing of complex documents as
    well as major new features like: Text boxes, Table of Contents, Stylelist,
    Drawing on background images, many new Table features, improved complex
    text (including improved BiDirectional ) support, text hiding between
    headings (sometimes called outline mode in other programs), a
    sophisticated scripting framework, improved document filters and improved
    Revision Marks.

    In addition we provide new and innovative features not available in other
    programs. These include visual drag and drop of text, image, textbox and
    table elements, Visual textbox resizing, and a powerful history and
    version feature. This allows changes in texts to be rolled back and
    forward between editing sessions. It also allows documents to be compared
    and the differences inserted as revision marks. We provide complete
    network transparency via libgsf. Documents can be loaded and saved to
    anywhere on the Internet. Finally AbiWord provides first page previews of
    all document types prior to loading.

    As always the AbiWord program continues to provide an excellent user
    experience. All the new features are provided via non-modal dialogs so the
    user can continue to type and to see the effect of their changes
    immediately knowing they can use undo/redo to try different formatting. We
    continue to move towards full HIG conformance.

    In addition AbiWord-2.2 provides powerful new server features. These
    include the ability to provide images of the first page of a document and
    to convert Word Processing files to plain text for indexing purposes.

    New integration features include the ability to copy and paste tables to
    and from Gnumeric and access to the Users Evolution address book and
    contact list via the libgda plugin.

    As always, AbiWord continues to provide the fastest load in the Word
    Processor business.

    Looking to the future, we're well on the way to providing a state-of-art
    Mathematics support in collaboration with the GtkMathView project. We also
    plan to provide complete SVG support.

    Finally, the AbiWord project is very open to new developers and helpers.
    We are an extremely open and supportive group of people and could use help
    in all aspects of the development process. In coding, web page
    maintenance, documentation, translations and evangelism. Although the
    code base of AbiWord is large, it is one tenth the size of Open Writer
    and we're an order of magnitude easier to develop for. As a cross platform
    application we have many users from diverse environments, including
    development agencies in impoverished areas of the world. From their
    feedback it's clear that by working on AbiWord we're making the world a
    better place.