Why is abiword-dev plagued by viruses?

From: M. Fioretti (m.fioretti_at_inwind.it)
Date: Sun Feb 08 2004 - 11:33:04 EST

    Greetings,

    since when the latest email virus flood started, I have been getting
    tenths of bogus messages every day. So far, nothing special.

    The point is that about one third of them show up in my abiword-dev
    list mailbox. I continuously find (=pay to download) Mydoom stuff sent
    To: abiword-dev_at_abisource.com, with From addresses equal to regular
    members of this list: M. Seviour, R. M. Seabra, H Figuiere, and so on.

    I never find similar messages in any of the mailboxrs of the other
    many mailing lists I follow. This has been going on for more than ten
    days, IIRC. Am I missing something, or is it really the abiword
    mailing list SW relaying crap so lightly?

    If yes, I'll unsubscribe until this passes.

    For the record, I filter abi mail with the following procmail recipe:

    :0:
    * ^Sender: owner-abiword-dev_at_abisource.com

    Of course, somebody may be easily forging that header, and then send
    mydoom stuff faking real abiword developer headers *just* to me, but
    why? Have you noticed the same thing?

    Ciao,
            Marco Fioretti,
            still listening here for one or two days.

    --
    Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

    Our inventions are wont to be pretty toys, which distract our attention from serious things. They are but improved means to an unimproved end, an end which it was already but too easy to arrive at; as railroads lead to Boston or New York. We are in great haste to construct a magnetic telegraph from Maine to Texas; but Maine and Texas, it may be, have nothing important to communicate. -- H. D. Thoreau, 1854