Re: rtf2xml conversion

From: Martin Sevior (msevior_at_seviorpc.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 19:10:40 EST

    On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 19:22, Barnabas Davoti wrote:
    > Martin Sevior wrote:
    > > What do you mean by XML? XML is scheme for writing descriptions. We
    > > support several XML-based file formats with various levels of
    > > completeness.
    > >
    > > Some of these are our native abiword format *.abw, XHTML, DocBook and
    > > the Open Office format.
    >
    > I ment I don't want to write an RTF parser myself, but as soon as the content is
    > in "any kind of" XML - keeping the styles and formatting items - I can convert
    > this further using SAX, DOM, Omnimark, Balise... whatever.
    > I did not know it can convert to DocBook and OpenOffice format. Thank for the
    > information!
    > I've tried the import/export plugings and I see it's possible to use them even
    > from the command line. It's very impressing!
    > I've discovered some problems too, but since it's open source, I have a chance
    > to contribute. :-)

    The *best* XML format we support is our own native *.abw format.

    If you use the AbiCommand plugin you can use AbiWord as a document
    server to convert documents from an external program. I wrote a little
    "C" program to demonstrate it's use.

    See:

    abiword-plugins/tools/abicommand/ConvertToText.(h,c)

    The functions in the program handle all the issues to do with AbiWord
    crashes during load, keep track of the PID etc etc.

    The program converts lots of types word processing documents to plain
    text but it's easy enough to make the output any other type of file
    AbiWord supports.

    Good Luck,

    Martin