Re: Abiword w/o Gnome impossible?

From: Rui Miguel Seabra (rms_at_1407.org)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 06:23:21 EST

    AbiWord 2 can be compiled without gnome support, but gtk2 and gnome2
    share MANY common sub libraries, so in AbiWord2, the differences are not
    that many as it used to be when it was gtk1.2 and gnome 1.x

    Did you try the abiword-gtk rpm or the abiword-gnome?

    Rui

    On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 11:02, Ingo Lantschner wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I subscribed a few weeks ago, because there are some plans on localizing
    > Abiword to Lingala, a language originating from the Congo-river and
    > nowadays spreading all over Africa because of some famous congolesian
    > muscians. Abiword was our choice because of its small ressource neeeds,
    > since we have lots of schools in Kinshasa to equipe, and the computers are
    > some Pentium I with sometimes only 16 MB of RAM / 800 MB HD. We found that
    > "The Rule Project" (http://www.rule-project.org/) did some very valuable
    > work and provided a installscript for RedHat9 which installed a
    > minimal Linux on such machines. Also Abiword 1.4 installed fine, and since
    > 3 month, some thousands of Congolesiean pupils learn textprocessing with
    > AbiWord 1.4.
    >
    > In the course of time we realizzed that this version is a bit buggy and
    > when I saw, that there is already a version 2 I canceled any efforts to
    > find these bugs because we should use up to date software.
    >
    > Installing the Abiword 2 rpm on top of Redhat9/TinyX/iceWM unfortunatly
    > forced me to to install 40 MB of mostly Gnome-rpms. In the end only
    > nautilus was missing, which I did NOT install, because it opened up an
    > other dependency-hell.
    >
    > My question: Is there any way to install a lean Abiword 2, so that we can
    > really make use of its small memory- and harddisk footprint?
    >
    > Thanks for any comments and hints, Ingo.

    + So let's do it...?

    Please AVOID sending me WORD, EXCEL or POWERPOINT attachments. See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html