Re: turning bidi off

From: tomasfrydrych_at_yahoo.co.uk
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 02:28:54 EST

    On 20 Jan 2004 at 17:04, Omer Zak wrote:

> [...]

    <snip/>

    > This may be problematic in Win32, where the native BiDi algorithm is
    > forced down the user's throat.

    We use Fribidi on all platforms, including win32.

    Basically what is needed is to add third value to the document level
    dom-dir property called "logical" and propagete it down into fp_Run
    and fp_Line. That in itself is just a few lines of code. We also will need
    some interface (I hate designing dialogs).

    One question for Raphael, though: when you say logical, would you
    expect the logical sequence to be laid out from left to right, or would it
    be preferrable to have two options 'logical-ltr' and 'logical-rtl', so that
    the user could chose to have the text drawn either way (I imagine a
    predominantly Hebrew text, for example, might be easier to work with if
    the logical sequence is laid out from right to left).

    Tomas

    Tomas