Re: strings to .po

From: Raphael Finkel (raphael_at_cs.uky.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 15:27:11 EST

    I think .po can also handle the case where you want different
    translations for the same msgid. Each of the places the msgid appears
    generates a comment in the .po file. For example, the msgid "&Insert"
    has three origins, labelled as

            #. DLG_InsertButton
            #. MENU_LABEL_INSERT
            #. MENU_LABEL_TABLE_INSERT

    If you want to provide different translations, just split this entry
    into two or three entries, each with the same msgid, but with different
    msgstr values. I haven't tried this technique, but I think it will
    generate multiple, different, lines in the .strings file. I also think
    (with less confidence) that update.pl will preserve this split so you
    can update your translations as new strings appear without worrying that
    your old distinctions might disappear.

    Raphael