Re: Indic scripts

From: <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 15:20:06 CEST

> Hi,
>
>> I had a quick look at the code - look like one possible way would be
>> modify GR_UnixGraphics::drawChars to use the xft backend of Pango
>
> The rendering should be done through a derived class, rather than
> direct modification to UnixGraphics. The GR_GraphicsFactory class
> then handles the choice of class to be used.
>
> The derived class will need to implement a number of virtual methods
> which are listed in gr_Graphics.h starting at line 572, and also
> derrived versions of the classes found gr_RenderInfo.h. You might
> want to have a look at gr_Win32USPGraphics.h/cpp, which implements
> shaping on win32, and XAP_Win32App::XAP_Win32App() on how the
> graphics factory is used.
>
>> PS (again): I have no idea on this - but can IBM ICU be used in any way
>> to do the rendering ? Some quick 'n dirty information is available at
>> http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/userguide/layoutEngine.html
>
> We have in place a generic rendering framework, so in principle any
> external shaping library can be used, someone just needs to implement
> an appropriate graphics class using it.

Regarding using the PangoFonts - The unix build already uses a generic
abstract class to handle the interface to the fonts. We need this to
handle Postscript fonts (for printing) as well as the XFT fonts for
drawing on the screen. If you build a wrapper around pangofonts to fit the
abstract class API you would be set.

> If you have any more questions, do not hesitate to ask.
> Tomas

Absolutely! We're very keen to get Indic and complex script support for
Linux. Tomas has done a lot of what's needed already.

Good Luck!

Martin