more on the UUID

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomasfrydrych_at_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 09:50:52 EST

    Just some more comments on the uuids:

    There has been a preference option NoMACinUUID for those who do not
    wish to have their MAC address embeded in the documents; I just did
    not get to producing a GUI for setting. I am not sure how strong
    people feel about this as a privacy issue: if the feelings are strong
    we could make no-MAC the default, or, if the feelings are very
    strong, we could remove it altogether (I am not greatly in favour of
    the last one).

    Joaquine is right; from Win2k MS no longer uses MAC generated uuid's;
    they now fill the GUID bits randomly and call this 'version 4' uuid --
    there is only one problem with this, namely, it is not an uuid, it is
    a random number.

    Tomas