Re: more on the UUID

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 14:48:45 EST

    --- Hubert Figuiere <hfiguiere_at_teaser.fr> wrote:
    > On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 15:50, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
    > > Just some more comments on the uuids:
    > >
    > > There has been a preference option NoMACinUUID for
    > those who do not
    > > wish to have their MAC address embeded in the
    > documents; I just did
    > > not get to producing a GUI for setting. I am not
    > sure how strong
    > > people feel about this as a privacy issue: if the
    > feelings are strong
    > > we could make no-MAC the default, or, if the
    > feelings are very
    > > strong, we could remove it altogether (I am not
    > greatly in favour of
    > > the last one).
    >
    > Please, don't use the MAC address to perform UUID.

    I'm not even up to this point yet. My questions still
    haven't been answered:

    1) What math are you doing to see if document A is
    "related do" document B?
    2) Why do you need UUIDs to do so?

    If you need a psuedo-unique identifier, using 4
    rands() might be ok. But what are the randomness and
    uniqueness constraints at play here? Why do we
    specifically need UUIDs?

    Dom

    =====
    I think the problem with the Democratic Party in general is that they've been so afraid to lose they're willing to say whatever it takes to win. And once you're willing to say whatever it takes to win, you lose. - Howard Dean

    http://www.deanforamerica.com/