Re: C++ templates

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 14:31:30 EST

    Mike wrote:

    > What worries me a bit is that I just now (only a few
    > minutes ago) checked
    > what kind of code GCC generates for template
    > functions, and I must say what
    > I found will probably haunt me in my dreams tonight.
    > No matter what
    > combination of flags I gave the compiler could it
    > seemingly produce anything
    > that even reminded of sensible, inlined code. More
    > on this below.

    [snip]

    > It theoretically could have been me not throwing
    > enough flags at GCC (but
    > at -O3 I don't think I should have to), but the code
    > generated was ... If I
    > try to be polite I could define it as "suboptimal".

    G++ is notorious for producing "sub optimal" template
    code in some shape or form. However, things do "just
    work" from a consumer's POV, and correctness is what
    matters most here. Speed is a distant second, and any
    musing about that now is nothing more than premature
    optimization (thx, Herb Brooks).

    Just out of curiousity, what version of G++ were you
    testing against?

    Dom

    =====
    I think the problem with the Democratic Party in general is that they've been so afraid to lose they're willing to say whatever it takes to win. And once you're willing to say whatever it takes to win, you lose. - Howard Dean

    http://www.deanforamerica.com/