Re: commit (head) more uniscribe

From: msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 20:23:38 EST

    > slowly getting there: able to get some text on screen now.
    >
    > I am seriously contemplating removal of the fl_BlockLayout char width
    > cache -- we already cache character widths in the font cache and with
    > the uniscribe engine I end up with yet a third cache. In any case,
    > the block is an illogical place to keep these since the block does
    > not have actual character content, does not use the widths for
    > anything, and inserting text into the cache requires constant
    > resizing. The with cache should be associated with an individual text
    > run and, preferably, its implementation should be opaque to the
    > layout classes (e.g., on win32 char widths are int16, and we have to
    > convert the int32s on every draw). Caching them inside the new
    > GR_FERenderInfo class seems much preferrable.

    Think through the implications of things like embedded layout structures
    like footnotes and endnotes. Right now I can't think of a reason why they
    would worry about where the width cache is but I hope can't either. (Apart
    from removing the code that inserts the width cache.)

    Oh wat about spell checking? I think the underlining code might need the
    widths.