future win32 installers and glib based plugins

From: Kenneth J. Davis (jeremyd_at_ctc.net)
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 12:12:06 EST

    Unless there are objections, when I get around to merging
    the plugins into the main installer*, instead of continuing
    to provide a minimal glib set of DLLs, we will direct users
    of the Glib/GSF based plugins to install from
    http://www.dropline.net/gtk/

    * I say when merging, because when I get time/desire to
    work on them, I might as well finish up with the merging,
    so the two will happen about the same time, but are otherwise
    unrelated changes.

    I believe these are the same DLLs as on the Gimp for Windows
    page, simply packaged nicely. It sets up a registry key,
    which the installer simply needs to look for, and if it exists
    it will add the proper registry key so windows will use them.
    If the key does not exist (ie glib/gtk not installed) then
    the installer can either

      1) when a glib/GSF plugin is selected, pop up a dialog
         notifying the user the need to install it -- perhaps
         even attempt to download and exec it

      2) disable ability to select glib/GSF plugins if glib is
         not installed.

    I think 1 is better as one can always install glib after
    the AbiWord installation to enable use of the plugins, but which
    is preferred?

    If at some point in the future, AbiWord for Windows requires
    glib (vs current just required for some optional plugins),
    then the installer will abort installation until the user
    has installed Glib (probably with a command line override
    to force install anyway or perhaps a big warning dialog
    directing the user to install glib with the posibility to
    continue anyway).

    The only downside to this is that only a full GTK for Windows
    is packaged as a nice installer and not just glib. The positive
    sides include less support for glib on Windows is required
    (from a packaging standpoint or at least from me),
    all support files (instead of just minimal DLLs) are provided
    to end users, and we use the shared object nature of glib.

    The other option is for us to provide a nice installer
    for just glib or go back to separating the glib/GSF based plugins. I am strongly against packaging the glib DLLs within
    the Abiword for Windows installer itself.

    Objections? Suggestions? Unrelated replies?
    Jeremy
    :-)