Serious issues with abiword on windows using non-standard typefaces

From: Marv Waschke (marvwaschke_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sat Mar 13 2004 - 23:06:22 EST

    I am running abiword 2.0.3 on my personal notebook where I do my
    personal writing-- a journal, the great american novel-- the usual. I
    don't like Times New Roman, don't know why, don't care why. Palatino
    Linotype looks good to me and kerns well on AbiWord, a program that I love.

    But there are problems. I think they derive from my choice of fonts, but
    I could be way off base. Lines disappear from my display. Very bad. I am
    never sure if the damn flaky piece o' crap has dropped data or what. I
    am not kidding that I love Abiword, but I understand people who dump
    Abiword.

    I remember when the evil empire, MS Word, was flaky in the same way.
    When MS Word was floundering against WordPerfect and several other
    competitors whose names I have forgotten, it had the same kind of
    problems and MS learned a lesson: they started paying attention to
    problems that made users soil their underwear.

     OK. Enough crap.I opened an issue, but no one responded.
    Understandable. Everyone has priorities. I can work it myself. Can
    anyone point me in the right direction, give me hints, to help fix this?
    I am an experienced C++ programmer, more on UNIX than Windoz, even
    though the most convenient systems I have for development are Windows.
    Any advice will be appreciated.

    Marv