Re: Commit (HEAD): Psion exporter enhancements

From: Frodo Looijaard (frodol_at_dds.nl)
Date: Sun Mar 21 2004 - 13:31:11 EST

    On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 05:55:07PM -0500, Kenneth J. Davis wrote:

    > >Subject: Re: Commit (HEAD): Psion exporter enhancements
    > ..
    > >Do you need any of those 'enhancements' from our tree? If not, we will remove the peer psiconv module from our tree.
    > >
    > >Marc
    > >

    > I would rather you not remove psiconv module from our tree.
    > It includes Make based build support, which is used to build
    > psiconv as required by the psion plugin on Windows, and eases
    > our ability to satisfy the GPL requirements.
    >
    > If you insist on removing it, the Make based plugin build will
    > have to be updated (at least if you want plugins for Windows),
    > and we will need to at least provide tarballs of whichever
    > version(s) statically linked release builds are made against [per GPL].

    The problem is that I really do not want two CVS archives which are
    updated separately. That always leads to problems. So I still think the
    AbiWord CVS archive has to go.

    My first suggestion would be:
      * Build Psiconv as a DLL on Windows
      * Link the AbiWord plugin against this DLL.

    If that is indeed possible (and I really do not know how hard that would
    be, as I never really developed on Windows), would that not solve your
    problem? Windows people would be in the same situation as Unix people,
    that is, they could download binaries or source and run or link AbiWord
    against it. And of course, you could distribute AbiWord with a Psiconv
    binary. The build stuff to create the DLL would of course go into my CVS
    archive.

    If, for technical or efficiency reasons, the above can not be done, we
    need to look for a different solution.

    Thank you,
      Frodo

    --