Commit (HEAD,STABLE): bunch of build fixes

From: Mark Gilbert <mg_abimail_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 00:05:33 CEST

For bad casts, Tomas' string class changes, superfluous semicolons*,
scope violations*, etc.

Everything is taken care of on the trunk and the 2-0 branch.

*Coders: please beware of superfluous semicolons after complete
declarations, including (trickily enough) after instantiations of
complete inline macros. gcc 3.4, amongst others, now throws an error.
Also, avoid ambiguous scope traversal, such as friend declaring another
class' non-public member function without befriending the class. It
aint that many extra chars. See
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/cwg_closed.html#209 for
details. This only came up once, but I thought I'd let you know anyway.

Regards
-MG