Re: HTML documentation generation.

From: Mark Gilbert <mg_abimail_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 19:04:30 CEST

On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 03:13, msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> Have you tried to build the HTML version of the abiword
> documentation recently?
>
> Did it work? If so how do you do it?

Uhm, make-html.sh. Should Just Work (I have some personalized hooks in
there but nothing vital), except for some of the aforementioned html
exporter issues.
I know, I know, I'm on it, I'm just not exactly employed by Abi full
time here, so it takes a few days to catch up from a month or two of
absence.
But seriously, that should produce something resembling documentation.
Does for me.

> The last few stable releases have not had the documentation (all those
> help files) distributed with the binaries. When I tried to generate the
> HTML from 2.0.7 tarball I couldn't get it to work.

The last few? It's been longer than that. It was removed (by dom iirc)
because it (not documentation, the manner in which is was integrated (or
not) with the build and binaries) was useless, in the way, and
unmaintainable.
Someone, prolly jeremyd, put in a diver for it, iirc because win32 needs
it. You can use that, as gentoo does in its ebuild build script, or you
can be a normal person and not build the docs with the binaries, using
the web docs instead (you should find that when the docs aren't present
locally, F1 takes you to www).

NB: I know this is not good, but it is all I can do right now. The web
docs are within the realm of something-mg-can-get-a-handle-on, and in
fact aren't far down the TODO list from the xhtml exporter.

Regards
-MG