Re: zoom (was Re: commit (head): 7610)

From: Dom Lachowicz <domlachowicz_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Nov 01 2004 - 16:26:25 CET

> > To the contrary; bugs like 7687 are precisely due
> to the fact that we
> > try to scale everyting ourselves. If we used the
> normal win32
> > technique, [snip]
>
> Yeah, and that is exactly the problem. We need to
> use a common way in
> doing things. OR we scale all things ourselves, OR
> we let the platform
> do it. Mixing it up like we currently do results in
> problems. As can be
> seen in said bug.

The whole point of layout units is that you could use
*REAL* OS supported tranformation matrices/scaling if
they're supported. The important functions are all
virtual. Device Units and Layout units can be the same
thing (i.e. 1x scale).

Since X11 doesn't support this sort of thing, Patrick
and I knowlingly made a gross assumption that fonts
scaled linearly, which we knew to be false, but hoped
it would be "good enough". I still stand by this
decision.

Whoever implemented the Win32 side of things (wrongly)
followed our lead instead of using platform-specific
scaling routines.