Re: non-commit: abiword-plugins: rewrite url plug-ins

From: Francis James Franklin <postmaster_at_alinameridon.plus.com>
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 10:22:04 CET

Hi,

As you say, it would be easy to merge the three plugins. I chose not to
because keeping them separate allows the user load/unload them
selectively, and because removing two plugins seems a bit drastic
before we branch.

In Bug 4842 Alan suggested the user should be able to specify a URL of
the form:
http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/findword?query_type=word&queryword=%s
where I presume the %s gets replaced by our word list.

We would also need to specify whether spaces become '+' or '_' or '%20'
and whether apostrophes (should I say ''' or '\''?) are allowed.

Perhaps also what language the URL should appear for, or all. (?)

The main purpose of my rewrite was to make it easier to add new URLs.
My idea was to create a plugin configuration file which listed possible
URLs. The user could then add/subtract entries to/from this.

Using the preferences file would be a possibility, but I would like to
rewrite how we do preferences. I think, at the moment, unexpected tags
in the preferences. The current scheme name element with hundreds of
attributes is unwieldy (see Bug 5064).

Ciao, Frank