Debian, AbiWord, and Trademarks

From: Andy Korvemaker <lists.abiword_at_akorvemaker.fastmail.fm>
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 21:03:26 CEST

Hi. In the most recent Debian Weekly News
(http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2004/41/) there is mention of AbiWord
and trademark "issues". It refers to a discussion started on the
Debian-Legal mailing list
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/10/msg00236.html).

In a nutshell, some Debian people are again wondering if AbiWord's
trademark use restrictions prevent them from distributing Abiword in its
current form with its current name in Debian. The discussion is also
looking at the issue of trademarks in general.

In reading through the tread, I did not see any mention was made of
Dom's response to some trademark questions earlier this year
(http://www.abisource.com/mailinglists/abiword-dev/2004/Jul/0141.html).

I'm not sure if there's much that can be done right now, but I saw it
and figured other people might want to be aware that it's apparently an
issue (though people following IRC would probably already be aware).

andy

--
Andy Korvemaker