AbiWord/Abiword/abiWord/abiword (was: Re: Debian, AbiWord, and Trademarks)

From: Omer Zak <omerz_at_actcom.co.il>
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 23:46:29 CEST

Would the following suggestion work?

Keep 'AbiWord' trademarked. Allow it to be used only to describe
products which are similar to Dom's AbiWord (say, less than 1%
difference in code lines, and less than 1% difference in GUI look and feel).
But allow 'abiword' (no capital letters) to be used for anything which
claims any relationship with Dom's AbiWord.

Then Debian will use only 'abiword' to describe the package and be free
to modify it to its heart's content.

Dom and the world will trust that Debian do not have the self-interest
to confuse people by using 'abiword' to describe packages, which process
digital camera images for the purpose of emphasizing nude women eating
blue cucumbers in the images.

                                              --- Omer

I may be affiliated in any way.