Re: Start speedup

From: Dom Lachowicz <domlachowicz_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 16:36:39 CEST

Hi Sir Basic,

A few comments on your patch:

1) It's not in patch/diff format. Please use 'cvs diff
-u'.

2) It has a lot of unecessary whitespace changes. This
is annoying.

3) It leaks strdup'd memory in several cases.
3.a) strdup() isn't necessarily portable. Use
g_strdup() instead.
3.b) Avoid using strdup() like things whevever
possible. We have good C++ string classes.

4) It removes a GR_Graphics pointer from being an
argument to a lot of methods. Why?

5) No performance-enhancing patch will be committed
without us first seeing profiles on how much the patch
decreases startup time. What sorts of differences are
we talking about here?

Thanks,
Dom

--- Sir Basic <phoenix@freemail.hu> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've suggest a modification in the attached file.
> The profiler shows that
> the startup process spends relevant amount of time
> with string
> manipulations in the "buildFont" function. The
> attached solution
> decreases that time. Please check the files. Send me
> a mail if you need
> the profiles.
>
> Attila
>

> ATTACHMENT part 2 application/x-zip-compressed
name=xap_UnixFontManager.zip