Re: Grammar Checking

From: <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 14:45:13 CEST

> I was reading a review today that sais a grammar checking plugin was in
> the works. I would like to know who to contact in order to get involved
> with that project.

Dom started the project but if he doesn't have time I'd be happy to help out.

The current code lives in

/home/msevior/abidir/abi-cvs/abiword-plugins/tools/link-grammar/xp

I suggest we procede in two phases.

The first phase would be to provide a grammar checker that works like our
spell check dialog and runs through the a document looking for wrong
grammar.

The second phase would be to grammar checking on the fly with green
squiggles under text ala MS Word.

The first phase could be done as pure plugin with minimal distruption to
the abiword codebase.

The second will require modifications and a generalization of our
on-the-fly spell-checking.

We can try out various English language grammar checkers in the first
phase to evaluate how good they are and what sort of performance impact we
could expect.

The seond phase would roll-in word completion as well as the grammar checker.