Re: Commit (ABIMATH): gr_UnixPangoGraphics.h/cpp

From: <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 09:50:57 CEST

> On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 06:10:12PM +0100, Daniel Glassey wrote:
>>
>> >These are very initial work in progress derived from the win32uniscribe
>> >bits
>> >committing just so it doesn't get lost
>>
>> Don't expect it to work yet though I think it's in the right shape for
>> starters.
>>

> May I ask, whats the status of using pango in abiword?
> Since there is now suppor for printing in pango/gnome-print,
> there seems to be no more issues for implementing it
> in AW, or am I completely wrong?
>
> Thank you!

The main things holding it up are time constraints and lack of knowledge
on the part of the Linux/Unix developers.

The cross platform complex text shaping engine was developed by Tomas
Frydrych who has shifted his development interests to the Windows
platform.

We mere mortals have not had the time or the background to understand how
it works and how we can use pango in the place of the Windows uniscribe
library.

Even if we do we still need dedicated help from speakers of said complex
text languages (Arabic, all the Indic texts) to fix bugs.

I'm currently devoting my time to getting 2.2 out the door.

Maybe someone else could step up and work on it? It would be wonderful to
support billions more users.