Re: Save as PDF

From: <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Fri Aug 05 2005 - 07:24:48 CEST

> Dom Lachowicz wrote:
>
>>This is something that's been asked for a million
>>times if it's been asked for once. The Unix build now
>>has Save As->PDF and Save As->Postscript as export
>>options. Since it's based around GnomePrint at the
>>moment, it's Unix-only.
>>

> I have two primary thoughts which lead me to mention this. Number
> one, I would really prefer to see a common approach across all platforms
> if possible. It could turn into a mess to use GnomePrint on Unix, try
> to bundle in CutePDF or some other pseudo-printer solution for Win32,
> and come up with still another hack for the next platform. Secondly,
> you would probably get better-quality PDF's generating them from scratch
> rather than "cheating" through a pseudo-printer solution. It's my
> understanding that such print driver based solutions generate PDF's that
> are bitmap-based... rather than containing raw text and formatting
> instructions for Acrobat to parse. Bitmap-based PDF's are practically
> useless for applications that import or modify PDF content, and make
> Acrobat's text searching functionality much less reliable.

No. The PDF's produced by gnome-print are genuine vector-based and scalable.

The main issue I have with gnome-print as a pdf driver is that it doesn't
support hyperlinks or bookmarks.

We've used the gnome-print pdf generator for years. We know it works and
it's limitations. I'm happy with this for 2.4

Martin