abigoffice plugin

From: Jean Bréfort <jean.brefort_at_normalesup.org>
Date: Fri Dec 02 2005 - 11:08:24 CET

Hi,

I have just updated the tarball at
http://jean.brefort.free.fr/abigoffice.tar.bz2.
Before commiting it (o HEAD only, of course) as is, I'd like it to be
reviewed.

There are some drawbacks at the moment:

* The abigochart plugin should be removed because it will be obsoleted.

* There are problems associated with the file chooser; in abiword, only
file names extensions can be used while the plugin uses mime types and
gnome-vfs/goffice do not provide any easy way (even no way at all AFAIK)
to retrieve extensions from mime types.

* Resizing embedded objects must be rewritten. Some components should
not be resized at all, some should be, but with restriction (a gnumeric
sheet should only show whole cells), and some might be freely resized.
May we can also have objects which can be resized, but with a fixed
aspect ratio. Also, changing the height of a chart is broken at the
moment as I already wrote. This si what I should fix now, but I could
not find in the code where to start.

* Portability should be addressed.

* There is no stable component at the moment. I wrote one for GChemPaint
(released with GChemPaint-0.7.0), but this one is not fully functionnal,
and I did not commit the mozilla plugins component since this one has a
lot of issues:
- it crashes when a libXt base plugin is used (flashplayer), apparently,
it is a libXt initialization problem, bur I could not figure out exactly
how it should be done.
- there is no simple and secure way to know which mime types are
supported without preloading a lot of code.
- I am not convinced it is worth the work since most mozilla plugins (if
not all) will not print, which is critical for office applications.

I am now going to start working on a gnumeric component, soonish ;-)

Waiting for comments,
Cheers,
Jean