Re: Antwort: Re: AbiWord 2.6 Plans / new functions

From: <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 02:28:34 CET

> Hi Tomas,
>
>> OK, why don't you put togethe a draft spec document that would make it
>> clear what would be required and involved, so we can have a more
>> informed debate over this. (I do have to warn you that we are a very
>> small team, so I cannot guarantee we will pursue it, but collaborative
>> features are high on our priority list for 2.6.)
>
> Thanks for your constructive reply. I am glad to learn, that collaborative
> features are in the focus already and would enjoy contributing. I'll start
> writing a draft spec during the next days. I guess, at first it will cover
> basic functionality for opening/saving files from/to a webdav server.

Following on from Alan's remark. One of the other features talked about
for abiWord-2.6 is full support for libgsf. This allows abiword to load
and save documents over the network. On the gnome platform libgsf uses
gnome-vfs which already has a webDav backend.

I haven't spent much time looking at libgsf but it designed to be cross
platfrom and allow platfrom specific implementations of network protocols.

I believe that there are free software implementations of webDav for win32
so we might be able to reuse this.

Anyway libgsf for AbiWord is being looked after by Dom. libgsf in general
is /was maintained by Jody, both of whom are subscribed to this list.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/libgsf/

I recommend you look into libgsf and see if it suits your needs. What you
are asking for may well be close it being provided.