Re: Antwort: Re: AbiWord 2.6 Plans / new functions

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 18:14:54 CET

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, Peter Lundqvist wrote:

> Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 08:16:27 +0100 (CET)
> From: Peter Lundqvist <peterl@Update.UU.SE>
> To: abiword-dev@abisource.com
> Cc: marco.hoedtke@gmx.de
> Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: AbiWord 2.6 Plans / new functions
>

> On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au wrote:
> > I believe that there are free software implementations of webDav for win32
> > so we might be able to reuse this.
>
> I barely ever use windows - but I'm sure that I've connected to a
> webDAV share (using iexplorer) on a vanilla XP box on multiple ocations.
> In fact, I am certain that you can "mount" a webDAV share on XP boxes - so
> there probably is native support for webDAV (at least on Windows XP).

Wouldn't be hard to have a partial implementation, the basics of WebDAV
are the same as HTTP and WebDAV extended it and gave it a new URI (much to
the annoyance of many, because if they hadn't you would have gotten a
limited amount of back compatibility essentially for free in lots of
existing applications which already understood HTTP. New URI schemes are
evil.)

/endrant

It turns out those "Web Folders" listed in Windows Explorer are WebDAV.
Always wondered what they were for, they used to just annoy me when I
clicked on them accidentally.

- Alan