Re: commit: Start of Math support in HEAD + Math Plan for 2.4

From: <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 14:41:06 CET

> On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 09:52 +1100, msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au wrote:
>> My plan is write an opaque cross platform class that provides all the
>> hooks we need to implement GtkMathView. The src/text/fmt/xp code will
>> use
>> this to draw the math runs.
>>
>> The base class will include a rather useless xp implementation that will
>> draw ??? or something when it encoutners a MathML element.
>>
>> I will move all the useful code in src/af/math/xp to a plugin and
>> provide
>> a new method in the XAP_App class.
>>
>> GR_Abi_MathManager * XAP_App::getMathManager()
>>
>> If the plugin is not present this method will return the useless base
>> class
>> which will be used by fl_DocLayout and fp_MathRun.
>
> Excuse the potential ignorance behind this question:
>
> Couldn't this be made generic so that you could make plug-ins for any
> type of custom element (random example: a dynamic chart embedded in a
> document) rather than just math elements?

Yes this occurred to me too. However the MathML interface has some
funkiness that I wanted to wrap up.

It's much harder to think of a generic catch-all API than it is to solve a
specific problem.

If we work from this some other hacker may come up with a better, more
generic solution and we'll change the MathML plugin to suit.