Re: Generic Embeddable plugins.

From: Dom Lachowicz <domlachowicz_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Jan 14 2005 - 02:26:28 CET

> They would simply use the snapshot (either png or
> svg).
>
> Jean can implement an embed bonobo-component plugin,
> I can write a MathML plugin,
> Dom can write netscape-plugin, plugin
> A KDE dev could write a K-parts plugin.
>
> If the plugin is not available, you use the
> snapshot. I see no reason why
> Jean writing a bonobo-plugin should hurt OSX or
> Windows.

I assume that you're just offering this up for
example, but I need to make one thing clear. I'm not
advocating using the Netscape API. At least not yet.

What I do think is that offering *competing* plugin
APIs will ultimately hurt our usefulness and thus our
users, and not help as you'd suggest.

I think that in order to have any real viability and
vendor/user buy-in, we need to adopt an existing
solution or else *very carefully* figure out how we
bridge whatever we propose to existing solutions.

There is a treasure-trove of existing embeddable
functionality out there, just begging to be used. I
don't want it to be that we're designing a round hole
to fit square pegs into...

Best,