templates [Re: please do not release 2.3.3]

From: Tomas Frydrych <tomasfrydrych_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu Jul 14 2005 - 08:40:33 CEST

> I was under the mistaken impression that we had crossed this bridge
> already with the UT_GenericVector class.

We allow to use templates as such, but the patch uses the templates
defined in the std library, and this has caused the problems. For some
reason the mere addition of #include <vector> broke the MSVC6 build (and
the error messages generated by MSVC were not of much use).

I for one think it would be advantageous to us to use the std templates
in place of the homegrown ones, but as this patch shows the transition
is non-trivial and will require extensive testing. Perhaps something for
the 2.6 list.

Tomas