Re: Commit: PDF import plugin

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Thu Mar 17 2005 - 14:59:48 CET

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Dom Lachowicz wrote:

> Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:17:43 -0800 (PST)
> From: Dom Lachowicz <domlachowicz@yahoo.com>
> To: AbiWord-Dev <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
> Subject: Commit: PDF import plugin
>

> AbiWord can now import text from PDFs. The plugin uses
> Poppler (http://poppler.freedesktop.org/), which is a
> fork of XPDF. On the *NIX desktop, Evince, KPDF, and
> GPDF will all be using this to display their PDFs in
> short order.

This is great and should come in handy.
Didn't you do something like this before using your own custom code?

(I have vague recollections of being able to cut and paste quite rich
markup out of the Adobe PDF viewer). Do you have any future plans for
this? basic image import? richer text markup? Will it remain intentionally
limited to plaintext import? Is that a question better directed at the
maintainers of pdftotext?

> My code is entirely XP and trivial, actually.
> XPDF/Poppler should be able to build on Windows with a
> minimum of effort. It looks like at least the bits we
> care about already work on Win32:
>
> http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/download.html
>
> Oblig screenshot attached.

http://www.abisource.com/~dom/abi_pdf_import.png