RE: Permission to commit Latex equation editor?

From: <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Fri Mar 18 2005 - 05:35:10 CET

> Hi,
>
>> The > http://pear.math.pitt.edu/mathzilla/tex4moz.html

Thanks! I'll check it out.

> the advantage of this package over itex2MML is that it uses TeX itself
> to convert to MathML (actually XHTML + MathML) and thus able to parse any
> (La)Tex expression without modification. The biggest implication is that
> TeX
> macros also work, with the ability to use all those macro packages that
> people
> have written over the years without any change.

Oh well this is both bad and good. It's great for Linux users who often
alreadt have a full-tex environment. It bad for oeople without becaus
tetex is huge!

I will check it out however.
> I am very excited to know that abiword will be including math and more
> importantly latex-like support. How easy is it to turn Abiword into a
> quick
> and dirty presentation tool ? Unless Abiword can import Latex formatting
> and
> macros distributed by most conferences and journals, I don't see myself
> using
> it much for word processing, but as a presentation tool, where i can cut'n
> paste latex math fragments from my papers, I would be very interested. I
> have
> tried OO Impress, but it can't do inline math (although OO writer can).

Well there is a little trick you can do with both OOo and AbiWord if you
don't mind living without fancy transitions or animations.

Set up a page in landscape mode with a custom page size to fit on a screen.
Set up your presentation as you like. AbiWord does positioned objects and
text wrapping, as well as image backgrounds so you can make your slides
quite fancy.

Then print to pdf and do your presentation in evince or Acroread.

BTW, if you have a passion for Tex you could write another plugin to use
it instead as well as itex2MML. We can reuse all the infrastructure we've
set up. I can show you how.

Afterwards print it to pdf