Re: performance Issues.

From: Randy Kramer <rhkramer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 15:33:49 CET

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 05:52 am, msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I've identified what I beleive are a number of performance
> bottlenecks in AbiWord. I've placed my ideas onthe
> AbiWordDevelopment twiki page. (Thanks Rany for showing me how
> the "?" worked!)

You're welcome!

The page looks good! Just something for us all to think about--at some point
we may want to

   * create a separate web for development

or

   * make that particular page a "Table of Content" page for development
related content (much like the FAQ page) with a prefix on all development
related pages and an automatic search to show a list of all pages with that
prefix.

No hurry, because I think either can be done with a minimum of disruption
somewhat later.

Creating the separate web is preferred AFAIC. Then we have to pick a Web
name, and although it is possible to use a (T)WikiWord, it causes some
problems, so the best is one Capitalized word. My off-the-top-of-my-head
suggestion would be "Devel".

Creating a new web requires (some) work by the Web administrator (Hubert), but
I would need to refresh my memory as to what is required before I'd ask him
to do anything. (Off the top of my head, it may be as simple as creating two
new directories, both named Devel (assuming we agree on that name), in the
appropriate places (one for TWiki pages, one for attachments, IIRC).

Although I think creating a new web is the more appropriate approach, we
should consider this in light of the desire to shorten URLs--there is (at
least) one drawback to think about:

If we maintain the content under the Abiword web, we can (I'm fairly certain)
shorten the normal URLs to be of the form:

http://www.abisource.com/<PageName>

If we create a new web we either have to:

   * create shortened URLs of the form:
http://www.abisource.com/<Webname>/<PageName>

or

   * make shortened URLs of the form http://www.abisource.com/<PageName> refer
to the Abiword web and use the long (original) style URLs
(http://www.abisource.com/twiki/bin/view/<Webname>/<PageName>) for the new
web

Of course, I am not an expert in this area, there may be other solutions,
including a partially shortened URL for the new web, or a new domain to be
used for access to the new web.

regards,
Randy Kramer