Re: CJK patch (was Re: pango)

From: Theppitak Karoonboonyanan <theppitak_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 07:16:57 CET

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:43:55 +0000, Tomas Frydrych
<tomasfrydrych@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> No, it would not be, not along the lines the patch was proposed. The
> base graphics class assumes rule-based line breaking, and I do not want
> to change that (if anything, I want that class further simplified). What
> you would need to do is to design a graphics class derrived from
> GR_UnixGraphics that would rely on libthai. The class would need to
> implement the virtual methods related to complex scripts (any graphics
> method that takes GR_Item, GR_RenderInfo and their friends; see
> gr_Graphics.h and gr_RenderInfo.h). How much work that would be depends
> on how much of the rest of the Unix graphics you could reuse; it might
> not be a huge amount of work.

I'm still studying the code to find out what I can do. However, one question:
Will OpenType be supported? In Pango, we have two de facto
implementations using PUA glyphs in fonts available in the market, and
a third one using OpenType features. It would be great if we can have
OpenType support as well, as PUA fonts are going to be obsolete in the
(far) future, while OpenType fonts now begin to be available.

> We have the (untested) infrastructure for graphic classes to be plugins,
> so you could have a libthai plugin that would replace the normal Unix
> graphics class. This is something you might want to consider, because a
> dedicated Thai graphics could be more efficient than the Pango graphics.

Could you suggest which classes (or methods) to read for creating plugin
classes?

Thanks,
-Thep.