Re: Embedding goffice charts in abiword

From: Robert Staudinger <robert.staudinger_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 13:27:47 CET

Maybe i didn't explain my thoughts properly.
What would you think of keeping all the chart creation, editing ... in
gnumeric and only allow import of readymade charts in abiword? Of
course we should still be able to trigger the creation of a new chart
from abi, but the work itself would be done in gnumeric.
So we would avoid code duplication and offer integraion with
gnumeric's full functionality.

The "only" thing that abi would have to do would be to display the charts.

The entire .gnumeric file could maybe be stored inside the .abw,
written to a temporary file while edited and imported back into the
.abw on save. This is of course a bit hackish but it doesn't require a
fancy component model and should therefore work on all platforms.

On the abi side we could so concentrate on polishing the interaction
and maybe create a chart import dialog which shows previews of all the
charts that a .gnumeric file contains.

As a side effect for our users all this might also strengthen the
"office suite feeling".

Just my $0.02
- Rob