ATTN: Norton AV falsely reports AbiWord to include adware

From: J.M. Maurer <j.m.maurer_at_student.utwente.nl>
Date: Mon Mar 28 2005 - 12:54:33 CEST

Dear AbiWord User,

* It has come to our attention that the latest versions of Norton
Antivirus software on Windows reports that the AbiWord uninstaller
(UninstallAbiWord2.exe) contains adware, specifically:
adware.bargainbuddy.

  THIS IS DEFINATELY NOT THE CASE.

* We contacted Symantec about this issue, and their initial report also
states that the Norton Antivirus program is in error:

  ====
  We have analyzed your submission. The following is a
  report of our findings for each file you have submitted:

  filename: C:\Program Files\Abitest\UninstallAbiWord2.exe
  machine: C1
  result: See the developer notes

  Developer notes:
  C:\Program Files\Abitest\UninstallAbiWord2.exe
  This sample has been analyzed by a variety of
  automated means and was not immediately identified as malicious.
  This file may be passed to an engineer for further inspection.
  Thank you for your submission.
  ====

This would be a nice example of a so-called "false positive".

* If you have any questions regarding this issue, please feel free to
contact us. We can be reached using our various mailing lists[1] or on
irc[2].

Regards,
  Marc Maurer
  The AbiSource community