More platform differences

From: Francis James Franklin <postmaster_at_alinameridon.plus.com>
Date: Mon Mar 28 2005 - 22:24:09 CEST

Hi,

> Note I specifically made reference to both Linux and BSD. Open
> platforms
> dont put up the same road blocks to development and tend to provide
> helpful infrastructure. (If they are smart proprietary platforms can do
> this too to a certain extent.)

I can't really agree with the above.

> I'm very concerned by your platform specific changes which I think is
> advocating specific platforms before Abiword as a whole. You dont even
> seem to be trying to suggest these changes for Abiword as a whole which
> immediately makes me all the more sceptical that they are good ideas.

Generally I'm very cautious about anything that affects AbiWord's xp
framework. Things that affect only the Cocoa-FE - well, I do feel a lot
more free to play around. I mix what is necessary with what is
interesting (i.e., fun), but always with the aim of pleasing the users
(who are a very vocal minority).

> I think Abiword could afford to be a little bit more honest about the
> fact
> that some platforms, particularly prorietary ones are harder to
> maintain
> and integrate with.

Again I can't really agree. The main problems facing Windows & Cocoa
are the relatively low number of developers AbiWord has for these
platforms.

> I just wish I had access to the Mac platform and could take a closer
> look.

I would welcome that. Sometimes I feel rather lonely.

Regards, Frank
:-)