Alert to download Computer Modern Fonts?

From: Martin Sevior <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 01:50:20 CEST

Hi everyone,
             Take a look at bug 9558, - "Equation editor displays
nonsence characters"

And the final comment of the person who posted.

------- Additional Comments From fojtik@htc.honeywell.cz 2005-09-27
22:44 -------
Yes, after copying these fonts into windows directory C:/WIN/FONT it
displays
correctly.

But anyway, formula editor should be aware of this font replacement and
at least
try to display something (e.g. '?') or emit warning to notify user about
missing
font.

I think this is a good idea since we can't directly distribute the
Computer Modern Fonts we should alert our users to what they should do
to make the maths support work.

To do this we need a way to:

1. Detect if the Computer Modern Fonts are installed.
2. If they're not installed we should tell our users how to download and
install them.

We then have to decide when to tell our users this.

1. Should do this at install time for Windows users?
2. or Should we do this at startup?
3. or Should we do this the first time the maths plugin is used?

My own view is that we should do 1 and 3.

It's a great pity we can't push Computer Modern Fonts into Fedora
Extra's. Without doing this we *definitely* need to do (3) for our Linux
users. Otherwise we'll get hundreds of dups for bug 9558.

I wonder if it's worth asking the owners of the Font if they would
consider a license change?

It's not much effort and you never know...