Re: Collaboration with AbiWord on Dashbaord/Beagle?

From: <msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Tue Apr 25 2006 - 03:31:47 CEST

> Hi Martin,
>
> On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 00:27 +1000, msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au wrote:
>> So I'm very happy to help on the AbiWord side. As I said, the plugin to
>> send notifications from Abiword to dashboard has been written. No doubt
>> it
>> will need a lot of tweaking and fixing. Is there interest in
>> Beagle/Dashboard community to help Mentor on the Dashboard side?
>
> I am definitely interested in such a thing, but I think we first need to
> get to the point where Dashboard is really usable again. It's been
> probably 3 years or so since it was first written and it is very much a
> My First C# Program, so the code quality and design decisions
> surrounding it aren't great. There has been a little effort to get it
> going again with Beagle, but I am pretty sure things like cluechaining
> and the other interesting parts of Dashboard are long since broken.
>
> In my mind, getting Dashboard up and running is the primary SoC task.
> If AbiWord integration is a key part of that work, that is definitely
> file by me.

Thanks for the clarification Joe. I see what you mean about dashboard
needing love. After applying the patch to Beagle's pkgconfig.pc dashboard
built a valid executable. However it crashes almost immediately after
receiving cluepackets from AbiWord.

My first thought was to do a bit of tracing through the dashboard code to
see if we were doing something wrong inour clue packets and to look for
obvious bugs. I hoped to gain a bit of understanding about dashboard
worked too.

What is the state of the mono-debugger? I tried to build mdb from source
but it wouldn't compile.

Martin