Re: Normal Mode and WYSIWYG printing.

From: Randy Kramer <rhkramer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Dec 13 2006 - 15:20:19 CET

On Wednesday 13 December 2006 03:36 am, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
> The Normal mode is not WYSIWYG and is not meant to be WYSIWYG; in Word,
> from where I think the founding fathers borrowed the idea for the menu
> entry, it is a mode in which the use of screen real estate is maximised
> by eliminating margins, headers/footers, footnotes, and object
> positioning details.

I would like to echo what Ryan and Tomas have said (and I have no argument
with Jean)--normal mode (in Word) is not WYSIWYG, it is as Tomas describes
it, and for many is is an essential tool. In addition, Word has modes that
are closer to WYSIWYG (it's been a long while, I don't even recall what it
was called), and that mode is probably essential to a large group of people.

(And some people consider both essential--for me, I work(ed) in normal mode
and counted on Word to do the appropriate thing when printing, and only
rarely had to check that (usually if I printed something and it was really
not what I expected, for example until I learned to set the various widow and
orphan options appropriately.

In short, a good word processor needs both modes (as well as, imho, and
outline view mode, unless it is somehow incorporated in the normal mode).

Randy Kramer