Thoughts on bug 10602

From: Dominic Lachowicz <domlachowicz_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Nov 22 2006 - 21:18:02 CET

This is one of several HTML import bugs filed against Abi. Thanks to
Sum1 and a host of others, our XHTML importer is reasonable, for some
definition thereof. But it chokes on HTML4 and a variety of other
things.

In abiword-plugins, we have a HTML and a Multipart-HTML (MHT) import
plugin. These can be based around either libxml2 or tidy, and they
piggy-back on top of the XHTML importer. They can handle a lot of
files that our XHTML importer can't.

Now, since we now require libgsf, we indirectly require libxml2. This
means that there aren't any new dependencies that should keep the
libxml2-based importer out of the main tree. But there may be good
reasons to keep this as a plugin, especially the MHT bits. Plus, since
there are dueling implementations (libxml2 vs. tidy), I'm not really
sure if one is quantitatively better than another. But then one also
has to consider the likelihood of people installing a plugin vs.
having this support right in AbiWord itself.

So my question to you is, "how should I proceed?" I'd like to fix this bug.

1) Move the plugin's bits to abiword proper, and merge with the XHTML importer
2) Keep this as a separate plugin, and close the bug as "invalid,
install the HTML import plugin"
3) <insert suggestion here>

Thanks,

Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums.