Re: PyGtk wrapper of abiwidget

From: Robert Staudinger <robert.staudinger_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Nov 26 2006 - 19:36:15 CET

On 11/26/06, msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au
<msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Rob and tomeu have doe excellent work to wrap our GtkWidget,
> abiwidget with python bindings that snugly fit into the PyGtk
> wrappers.
>
> These should be committed to a cvs somewhere.
>
> Marc has suggested these should go into
>
> abi/src/bindings/python/unix
>
> Then these could be automatically built if we see the --enable-libabiword
> on the configure line.
>
> On IRC Rob has suggested that these could be committed into the gnome cvs
> tree. The advantage of doing this is that we may get more people working
> on and with them.
>
> My personal preference is to put them into the abi tree at:
>
> src/bindings/python/unix
>
> Since they're initmately involved with abiword and should be built with
> the --enable-libabiword configure line.
>
> What do others think? Can we reach a consensus?

I have imported it into our cvs now, named "pyabiword".
Why?
+ All big bindings are maintained separately.
+ Look at the dusty corners of the abi source tree, namely src/hello
and src/bindings/perl. If such stuff is kept separately from the
beginning it won't contribute to overall bitrottyness of the abi
source tree at some point.
+ It's easier for distros to provide packages.
+ It's a matter of minutes to set up a jhbuild moduleset for easy
builting in one go.
+ Let's not give up the hope for a real, stable API just yet.

Best,
Rob