Re: OpenDocument annoyance list - reward?

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Mon Nov 27 2006 - 20:37:16 CET

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006, [ISO-8859-1] Jean-François Fortin wrote:

> Hello people,
>
> I put a question mark near "reward" in the subject of this mail because
> I wanted to probe for interest/information beforehand...

> Roughly speaking, I am a student. I am not a programmer, but I love

You might find your fellow students cheaper than other developers, a few
beers or a good meal go a long way. If you are really lucky you might get
a developer genuinely interested in Abiword and get them to develop for
their own benefit.

> using software, especially software that is integrated into my desktop
> environment, in this case, GNOME, and software that runs fast. Abiword
> has both of these qualities, and I can't stop looking at the beautiful
> usability and responsiveness of Abiword (compared to, say, OO Writer).

> I am not a developer, and it's a very sad thing because I would help you
> on this otherwise.

You may not be a programmer but being a developer is not always about
programming. If you are patient and determined you can do a lot of
things. Detailed tests that show specific problems and explain how they
might be fixed can make it much easier for a developer to come along and
just fix the problem, unlike many bugs where developers must spend a whole
lot of time figuring out what is the real problem. Very carefully sample
documents can be extremely useful too.

My programming skills are limited I admit but if I were to take on any of
the bugs in your list I think an easier way to barter for services might
be to buy a DVD or book, or even a donation to Gnome or as we approach
christmas some deserving charity.

> http://tinyurl.com/y9leut

It might help to highlight which 3-5 of those many bugs you consider most
important to you. You did already mention image cropping for example.

--
Alan