Re: [sugar] Intro

From: Robert Staudinger <robert.staudinger_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Nov 29 2006 - 18:34:14 CET

On 11/29/06, Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste@kde.org> wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> I would be happy to help with the project. My free time lately has seemed to
> change with the weather, however I always try to make myself available to at
> least comment on screenshots and answer emails.

Great, welcome aboard!

> I was reading through some of the links you sent me. Is there a separate
> branch for the Laptop AbiWord? Has development begun on this or is it still
> conceptual? What is the best way for me to take a look at this and give you
> feedback?

There is no separate branch any more, we have launched a new effort
that integrates better with the sugar environment.

We are looking in 2 directions right now:

1) Implement a standalone word processor for the olpc. This is done in
the "abiword-olpc" project in the laptop.org repository (of course it
uses abiword, it's just the integration code there). We have something
similar to http://www.abisource.com/~robsta/sugar/scenario_0830_1A.jpg
working and the "abiword-olpc" project will be updated shortly.

2) Implement an abiword component that can be used directly in the
browser. This is a rather new effort, but a prove of concept is up and
running already (
http://www.abisource.com/~robsta/sugar/abicandy-firefox.png ).

What we could use help with is not only feedback, but also advice on
HCI design choices. Please subscribe to the abiword-dev mailing list
if you are interested, (information available at:
http://www.abisource.com/developers/ )

Best,
Rob