Re: Printing in CVS HEAD.

From: Hubert Figuiere <hfiguiere_at_teaser.fr>
Date: Tue Oct 10 2006 - 05:22:02 CEST

Tomas Frydrych wrote:
> This is the problem I described in an earlier mail to the list; the
> GnomePrint Pango backend obtains font metrics for hardcoded resolution
> of 72dpi; Pango-xft backend uses whatever the X server is running with
> (96dpi on my machine), and the font metrics obtained for the two
> resolutions do not match. This is really a GnomePrint bug/API issue, and
> should be addressed in GP, but that needs some GnomePrint knowledge
> which I do not have. I have emailed Jody a while back, but had no reply
> as yet.

GnomePrint is dead. The maintainers have been pretty silent, I ended up
fixing some annoying leaks in the CUPS part, but still. Gtk printing is
gonna replace the printing part, and I suspect that the solution is we
either fix GnomePrint or we just use the Gtk printing, that might be
very immature.

I still don't understand the lack of interest in printing.... even more
frm "business distro" vendors.

Hub