WordPerfect conversion experience

From: Dmitri <project1_at_sharedlog.com>
Date: Sun Apr 01 2007 - 15:07:40 CEST

Hello there!

I just want to let you know about my experience with converting
WordPerfect with AbiWord.
I was just testing it with the AbiWord-2.5.1 and the libwpd 0.8.9
Here is what I noticed: even though AbiWord uses libwpd to convert
WordPerfect docs, it does not do nearly as good a job if you just use
wpd2html tool that comes with libwpd

using AbiWord, it did not preserve font colors and highlights and the
paragraphs looked like just a line break - I mean it did not have a
blank line between paragraphs.
wpd2html on the other hand, did preserve the font colors and paragraphs
looked just fine. Also with AbiWord the bulleted list (ul) looked like a
numbered list, it had numbers 1,2,3... instead of bullets, while with
wpd2html bulleted lists looked just find.

Here is how it looked with AbiWord --to=html

http://www.codecomments.com/wpdx3.html

and here is wpd2html converting the same wpd document

http://www.codecomments.com/wpd3.html

The wpd doc was created with WordPerfect X3

one thing that AbiWord did better is the preserve the paragraph
indentation, compare the text:

And this paragraph is in arial font and large

I was originally indented and AbiWord preserved it while wpd2html did not.